Friday, February 24, 2012

Sated

I flew into San Francisco for a whirlwind tour this week. There were things to celebrate, like this front page LA Times story on ForestEthics' work in Canada, which has that country's premier breathing down our necks.

And there were things to contemplate, like how to deal with the real-life impact of having the government of Canada doing all that it can to make us go away.

Politics and grandstanding can remain a distant concept until they affect your daily life — reminds me of when my high school dance in D.C. was censored by Vice President Gore's wife, who was waging this major campaign to label music that contained explicit lyrics. When we couldn't listen to a favorite Prince song,  things got very personal.





The "Tipper sticker"


After the events of the past six weeks — my colleague going rogue and releasing private emails and phone conversations to the press, the revelation that we're on the Canadian government's enemy list, the attempts by Canada's federal finance committee to make it impossible for us to exist, and the latest, which is that the government is attempting to pass a new law that will permit them to surveil us at any and all times — I needed to see my colleagues. It's been hard to go at it alone from my kitchen table.


In between all the meetings, and sometimes during them, I ate so much food. Indian food. Vietnamese food. An insanely perfect veggie taco. An Asian salad. Refried beans. I actually ordered two entrees yesterday because I couldn't resist.

Sunflower Vietnamese
Dosa Indian



La Coroneta
The Grove in Hayes Valley


Finally, I think my heart and my stomach are sated.
The ForestEthics crew in all our eco-sabateur glory


No comments:

Post a Comment