Monday, February 13, 2012

Aesthetic Monasticism

When I can't sleep, I close my eyes and walk through our house in San Francisco in my mind, visiting each painting and piece of art. 

A big part of our whole mountain experiment has been to strip down and leave behind a lot of the things that felt like they defined us. In our house here, we have only two things hanging on our walls - our 'together rules' and a sweet holiday decoration I haven't been able to bring myself to take down.

Letting go of our nest has been liberating. So many precious things, so much time and intention poured into each. 

I feel less beholden now, the feelings of responsibility and sometimes, claustrophobia, have been replaced by something very pure, just a straight up missing.


This song, (the feeling, not the lyrics,) is the perfect soundtrack to my mental walk:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment