Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Riding Sis

On Saturday, I was feeling a bit glum. The inevitable autumnal shift toward routine - work and school and all of that - though welcome and needed, had me longing for adventure. And I was a little afraid that my adventuring days were behind me. Thankfully, that rather self-indulgent and silly theory was blown completely out of the water by a totally unexpected invitation to ride horses with Jill.
Over the past fifteen years, I'd say I've been a saddle for six hours all told, but as a kid I rode, and I'm excited to ride again.


An added bonus for the day was the chance to hang out with Jill sans our collective five children, which, though I love the small people, was almost as exciting as the ride itself. Chris gave me the kitchen pass, meaning the okay to scram, and I gathered my stuff, (including my bike helmet because I am a safety dork while simultaneously a thrill seeker,) and headed down to Jill's.
The first thing we had to do was catch the horses, which basically involved corning them in their field and throwing a bridle on them. Fortunately Jill had mercy and put me in charge of Sis, a sweet older lady with a bit less sass, (so I thought.)
Once we captured the horses, Sis spent a lot of time nuzzling my leg as I brushed and saddled her. I returned the favor by falling in instant equine love.
Check out Sis' dainty raised-leg pose.

 The whole getting ready business took a long time, and then all of a sudden, we mounted the horses and were off. No kids, no guide, no nothing. It was just so quiet and free and wild. We went where we wanted. Specifically, Sis went were she wanted, which was mostly into the brambles and pricker bushes.



 

I felt completely lost in my surroundings, so small and grateful.

When we returned to the paddock, the horses rolled around in the dirt to cool off, and Jill and I enjoyed cold beers in twin hammocks. Dreamy.



Eventually the horses escaped and came to nibble on the flowers,

The full moon rose,

And I returned to my family, one happy camper.


No comments:

Post a Comment