Monday, June 20, 2011

I smell butterflies

Writing on my birthday feels hard. Like I should have something monumental to say, which I really don't.
What I do have is a happy, full feeling, and a lot of gratitude. Just a few years ago, I felt anything but happy, and I'm enjoying the chance to reflect on how much has changed and how hard my family has worked for it.

Chris gave me a massage for my birthday at the Chico Spa. I hiked up the hill and was greeted by Mel, a former electrician turned masseuse. I have to admit I was a little skeptical, but did love how he showed me to a room and said, 'just holler when you're ready'. (During my last massage in San Francisco, I asked the masseuse if I should get completely undressed and he said, 'I tell my clients to get as dressed or undressed as makes them comfortable.' Love the lack of pretense out here!)

Halfway through the best massage of my life, covered with hot rocks from the Yellowstone river as Mel performed Reiki energetic healing on me, I realized that his two professions had a lot in common. I felt completely rewired.

When I emerged from the little spa, the sun was out and Audi, my college roommate, Montana guide, tree climbing pal and sweet friend, was here with her brood.

We went for a hike and did a little meditation in the forest. Zoey declared that she could smell butterflies.






The day concluded with a long soak in Chico's hot springs for the whole gang, followed by lavender foot rubs in bed for the girls with Miles Davis 'Live in Stockholm' playing. Later, two very happy old friends made a stealth trip to the bar.

1 comment: