Sunday, June 19, 2011

Unarmed and dangerous

Children that go to bed late should get up late. But they don't. We made the most of it with an early morning flying session, and then headed over to the best thing in this town - the Griddle, which we discovered on our honeymoon.






Today, I'm noticing the great marmoleum inlay in the entry:
Nice G!

On our first pit stop, we discovered a dead coyote. The girls bolted out of the car to examine. I retreated in slight horror.

Last time we came to Montana, Chris donned his fishing waders and ferried each of us across the Gallatin River on his back so that we could go sledding just outside the gates of Yellowstone. We discovered a dead elk along the banks of the river and decided to collect some of its teeth to give to one of Stella's friends. Months later, Chris presented me with an elk-tooth necklace, which I at once love and am slightly repulsed by. It/he keeps me on my toes.


The rest of our very long drive brought less intrigue. We did finally get to take a left after nine hours of driving straight, and we entered Idaho.

I am not armed with an ipod in my car, a risky position when you consider the radio options in Eastern Nevada and Southern Idaho. My small CD collection includes mixes from Anne, Noel and Will, and they carried me through. Thank you, friends. I had plenty of time to think of and appreciate each of you as the farms whizzed by.

An uncomfortably close call. The American Falls Arco station saved the day.

The day concluded at nasty Ramada Inn in Pocatello, Idaho, that made the coyote crime scene look sanitary. I can't believe I let my children enter the hot tub, and I fully regret it. We stayed up late and the girls performed some strange sister hilarity while wearing gloves and dresses made out of plastic bags. Fun was had by all.



2 comments:

  1. Loving the blog. Glad you enjoyed the music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the CDs for our last big mountain roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete