According to Zoey and other epicureans, Rae makes delicious goat cheese, especially the raspberry chile variety. In our short time here, we've met a few goat farmers and have learned that when your business revolves around your goats' milk, you bottle feed the babies so they don't drink all of it.
It's very technical, at least at Rae's place:
Stella seems to have caught the Chester goat fascination, so we're hoping to become familiar and useful hands at Rae's secret and stunningly beautiful little farm spot.
Aside from goat husbandry, I've learned a few other things in our short time here:
1. Everybody has trampolines. Very mysterious, but I'm not exaggerating. At least not by much.
2. People deal with the interminable winter by supersizing their summer partying and playing: the sense of urgency around reveling in the outdoors is noteworthy.
Just check out how crazy the Tuesday night farmers' market is:
![]() |
| Farmers' market photos borrowed from www.ontheroadoncemore.blogspot.com |
Okay, so the horse fragrance has distracted me to the point that I'm going to sign off and hop in the shower, but before I do, I'll offer a final bit of proof regarding my aforementioned learnings, as illustrated by a few photos from the marathon eight-hour BBQ that we were so grateful and lucky to attend yesterday:
![]() | ||
| That's an extra-bouncy in-ground trampoline. |
![]() |
| That's an extra-large load of meat. (Turns out it's easier to procure meat here than vegetables.) |
![]() |
| That's an extra crazy bouncy house, or rather, a bouncy house/slip n' slide/sprinkler combo. |
![]() |
| That's an extra happy kid. |









No comments:
Post a Comment