These days, I avoid them as much as possible because they distract me from where I'm at, always pulling me into some future, supposedly-needed action.
And yet. And yet with some much happening at work over the past few months and the stakes being so unbelievably high, I did lose myself a bit to a long list of must-dos.
Which is why this weekend, after the pent-up months of stress and excitement had been relieved, I focused entirely on making space to do nothing, to let me feet catch up to my head.
Doing nothing is really quite something.
Here's what my reawakening to the world entailed:
Laying in the grass,
Laying on the dog,
Sniffing the sun-warmed fir tree in our front yard,
Staring at the clouds,
Building a compost pile and watching the laundry dry,
Absorbing the beauty of Stella and Madison's secret creek world,

And learning a little something about non-worm worms from my friend, Geoff.
This sweetly ominous note from Zoey and Geoff's daughters temporarily awoke the practical, mom-alert, left hemisphere of my brain:
Why don't enter? Oh, because they'd turned the bathroom into a water park with about a centimeter of water sloshing around on the floor. No big drama, and now my floor is clean.
After some snacks and cuddles, the lounging continued.
I thought a lot about Carmen, our little foster goat, who is back home now with Rae, and whom I miss very much. Goats are super social and follow you around everywhere. And they make the sweetest purring sound when they're happy.

I took a good long look at Stella's amazing nature fairy altar,
Checked out this cool dried flower bud thing,
Checked in with the chicks,
Watched Chris burn stuff,
And marveled at the blooming buds.
Life is full of wonder, and of other things too that sometimes block me from seeing what's right there.







No comments:
Post a Comment