Chris' sister, Kate, her husband, Dave, and their gang came to visit last weekend.
Good cousin-ing reigned supreme: wrestling matches, the collective demolishing of a giant hot fudge sunday, a cuddle session while watching 'It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown" on our 11-inch TV. Wholesome and delightful stuff.
And there were happy men, off on the river slaying trout.
Kate and Dave never skimp on the good stuff, so we always have a great time together. But I think Kate and I just might have trumped the fun this time around.
Over the years, we've had our share of knitting and baking and mom-ing pleasures together. But late Saturday night as we cruised downtown on our bikes, sans little people or husbands, armed with headlamps and scarves and some seriously dorky looking outfits, (I'll speak for myself on that one,) we entered a whole new dimension of sister-in-lawing.
We didn't even leave the house until 10. I was ready to bag our whole plan and go to sleep, but I was up against a woman who pulls all-nighters routinely in her emergency vet practice, and it doesn't take much to egg me on, so off we went to this event called Hatch, which was the talk of Bozeman, though I couldn't quite articulate to Kate exactly what 'it' exactly was. Though we'd missed all the lectures and sessions, there were two concerts and an after-party to explore. We were disappointed by the first show so biked over to Plunk, a winebar whose patrons seemed to have been cast straight out of Santa Monica. So much for assuring Kate that she didn't need to dress up since everyone wears fleece here.
After a drink or two, I was sure we were headed home, but Kate suggested another pass at the festival might be worthwhile. I liked her stamina and her moxie, two things I'd admired previously, but never considered applying to a night of fun.
Sometime past 2 we pedaled home, sated by hours of dancing to Andy Frasco (Sundance artist of the year) in collaboration with DJ Bones and D-Luv, whom I can't quit figure out but who blew me away.
We also caught the last set by this tiny but potent crooner Zee Avi, who packed a serious wallop in a fresh Billie-Holiday-meets-Regina-Spektor kind of way.
On our bikeride home, my head was simultaneously filled with with dreams of husbands making coffee and letting us sleep in, and the thought that as much as I know Kate, there's a lot more to learn. It's weird how life is like that - you can be close but far from someone, intimate but not. What a treat to learn just a little bit more.









No comments:
Post a Comment