The other day it happened — snow appeared on top of our mountains. I know I'll be singing a different tune in May when it's still freezing around here, but right now, I'm kind of beside myself with excitement. The snowiest peak is Sacagawea, which Zoey and I hiked this summer with Joanna and Balboa.
I love looking up at Sacagawea as I drive Stella to school, recalling what it felt like at the top, the wind that nearly blew us over, the white mountain goat fur stuck in the branches along the trail, the songs Zoey sung to me on the way down. I haven't been so intimate with mountains since I lived in Idaho 17 years ago. When I arrived here, all I knew was that I was surrounded by enormous peaks. Now, I can name names. And return in my mind to whole days spent sniffing their trees, examining their rocks, and clamoring up their trails. I feel richer for the knowing.
![]() |
| Chris captured the mesmerizing scene in the Crazy Mountains with my dad's old camera. (Thanks, dad!) |



No comments:
Post a Comment