Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Skype me

This morning, I got up later than I wanted, though still ridiculously early considering that I watched a movie at 1 am last night. I'd been tasked with getting a press release up on the wires, and it needed to happen early, on East coast time.

Before I'd even tied my bathrobe on properly — let alone made coffee — I hopped online to skype my colleague in Toronto to check in. We've worked together a long time, more than a decade, and I adore her fierce mix of being supremely intimidating while also totally endearing.

"Yikes, girl," I said. "These are the times when I'm terrified of skype video starting automatically."

Total silence.

Then, a moment later, there she was on my screen, in her nightgown and her fancy hotel bed, laughing hysterically. After fumbling around for a bit in my pre-coffee daze,  I hit the video button, revealing myself in a nightgown that pretty well matched hers, and a fluffy bathrobe. We about lost it.

In a year full of insanity at work — including too many midnights and too many early mornings, the loss of my dear right-hand guy, and getting slapped around by the Canadian government, I so need these moments of shared bedhead and pre-dawn silliness.




No comments:

Post a Comment