My approach to cross-country travel with children is to slow my metabolism - and response rate - to nearly imperceptible, like a crocodile in wait of prey. Endless and unexpected line at the check-in counter at 6 am? Hmmm... De-icing delays our flight for an hour? Oh well. Will we make our connection? No idea.
Back in the day, I used to get anxious trying to figure out (control?) those sorts of things, but I've learned that it does no good. An anxious me just makes the whole thing so much worse, and the kids soak up whatever I dish out.
One of my favorite parts about traveling is the slow reveal of what the girls have chosen to bring with them in terms of toys and amusements. (They pack their own carry-ons.)
![]() |
| "I'm packing light!" declared Stella. |
Someday, I know their bags will be filled with ipods and all the rest but today, they're brimming with baby dolls and fairies and Uno. It's delicious.
By 5 o'clock, we landed safely in Ft. Lauderdale, greeted by the loving and lovely Mimi.
Let the games begin.




No comments:
Post a Comment