As a teenager, I remember mocking my parents as they shuffled off to bed at 9 pm while I stayed up for hours, twirling the phone cord around my fingers as I chatted with Sam or Susan or one of my four friends named Amanda.
Oh, but who gets the last laugh?
Kimmie and Alec, that's who. Freed from the sweet but constant pull of parenting young kids, they've got energy and enthusiasm to spare. Chris, the girls and I could barely keep up with them last week as they took Montana by storm. But we sure had fun trying.
In just three days, we managed to horseback ride in Paradise Valley, paddle the Yellowstone river, delve deep into Yellowstone where we watched a bear, her cubs, and two wolves duke it out over a bison carcass, relax in the hot springs at Chico, and cruise over to Ennis, where my dad shot skeet with an old friend.
The whole affair was unforgettable and touching and fun and fantastic. And, as is so often the case, some of the most compelling moments were the least expected: a lazy lunch with my dad, Chris and Zoey at the mint-condition, mid-century modern Canyon Village Restaurant in Yellowstone, and lounging under a bright and cloudless sky on the soft grass at Chico with my mom and the girls. Grassy knolls really did my mom and me right this trip: one of my favorite mother-daughter-granddaughter hours was spent in a grassy patch on the side of the road behind the Sportsman's Lodge, where we watched the clouds go by while the girls created a rock fairy house in the roots of a tree. Still and peaceful, our time there washed right over me in the best way.
![]() |
| Detail of rock fairy house |
My dad has been honing his photography skills, so I think I'll let his fine photos complete the story.
![]() |
| Big's Sky's Corral Restaurant and Bar. |
![]() |
| Home of the Best Buffalo Burger Ever. |
![]() |
| And great taxidermy too. |


























No comments:
Post a Comment